Children's Sacramental Prep
In light of continued Covid restrictions, our parish catechesis and sacramental preparation programs for children and youth will be starting up in September, but with a different approach and emphasis.
This year will be primarily one of family formation. Our emphasis will be on the formation of parents as the primary educators of their children, but with children participating with the parents at sessions for the whole family.
To accomplish this, we will focus in on the mission statement of our Pastor, Fr. Steve Kunkel WE MAKE DISCIPLES. WE MAKE DISCIPLES refers to Jesus’ desire to make each one of us His followers. By being called, formed, and sent by Jesus, He invites us to use our gifts, talents and our entire lives to love and serve Him and each other.
We will start the year via video conferencing using Zoom, so you can attend at home; once restrictions are lifted, we will look to meet on campus. At that point, we will examine whether we should have the children meet in their regular grade classes, as we have done in the past, or if we need to go in a different direction.
We will begin with an orientation for parents on Wednesday, September 2 at 6:30pm.
For more details and a schedule, please go to www.staphx.org/wemakedisciples
Thank you so much and God Bless,
Children's Sacramental preparation is for those who are seven (7) years of age and older who:
- Are not baptized or were baptized outside the Catholic Church.
- Are in second grade or older and have not prepared for First Reconciliation (also called Penance or Confession). Children in the diocese of Phoenix receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation no earlier than the second grade.
- Are in third grade or older and have not made Confirmation and/or First Holy Communion. After completing preparation for First Reconciliation, children in the diocese of Phoenix receive both Confirmation and First Communion no earlier than the third grade, at the same liturgy.
Children younger than age seven should prepare for baptism as part of the infant baptism program.
To get started:
- Become a registered parishioner.
- Attend Sunday Mass and register with the parish.
- School Family Registration Non-School Family Registration
- Email or call the Director of Parish and School Catechesis for more information.
Preparation Components and Requirements:
- Sunday Mass attendance
- Catechetical formation, either through:
- St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic School.
- Wednesday Night Catechesis. Children are expected to attend each Wednesday evening session. Multiple missed sessions may delay reception of sacraments.
- Non-diocesan school with formation in Catholic doctrine. Subject to the pastor's approval.
If a child has had no previous catechetical formation, it is recommended that they participate in formation for at least one year before preparing for any sacrament.
To help children learn the essentials of each sacrament, please review the following Sacraments Essentials Sheets with them:
For children's preparing for Confirmation, obtain a sponsor who meets the following requirements:
- Is at least sixteen years old.
- Is not the natural or adoptive parents of the Confirmation candidate.
- Is fully initiated into the Catholic Faith (Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist).
- Is leading a life in harmony with the Catholic Faith.
- Is in a marriage recognized as valid by the Catholic Church.
What if my child has special needs?
Children with special needs may prepare for and receive Baptism, First Reconciliation, Confirmation and First Communion with their peers as long as they are able to participate in the rites with reverence. Using the student's IEP and other pertinent information provided by a parent, we will collaborate to develop a plan of sacramental preparation consistent with each child's abilities. For more information, contact Director of Parish and School Catechesis.